Anantasana – Side-Reclining Leg Lift
Anantasana is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Ananta(Infinite) andasana (posture or pose). It is called as Side-Reclining Leg Lift or Sleeping Vishnu Pose or Vishnu’s couch Pose or Eternal One’s Poseor Vishnu Pose in English.
Preparatory Poses for Anantasana are Utthita Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose), Supta Padangusthasana (Reclining Big Toe Pose) and Parighasana (Gate Pose); and the follow-up Pose is Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog).
Anantasana is an intermediate level yoga pose. It helps to stretches the raised leg well. Literal meaning of Ananta is Infinite. It has some other definitions too, like one of the names of the lord Vishnu, a 1000 headed serpent which used to rest on by the lord Vishnu, and many more.
Anantasana has two main variations there are Dwi-PadaAnantasana and Ardha Padma Anantasana.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE – SIDE-RECLINING LEG LIFT
- Start with lay down flat on the yoga mat.
- Now gently turn to your left.
- Make sure that your heels firmly into the yoga mat.
- Now slowly raise the right arm over your head.
- Note: Arm should be perpendicular to the floor.
- Lift your head from the yoga mat and give support by your left arm palm.
- Bend your right knee.
- Lift the right leg slightly.
- Try to touch the big toe with your right arm.
- Clutch it by using your fingers (first two fingers and the thumb).
- Breathing should be normal.
- Try to maintain the balance.
- Exhale; now slowly and gently stretch the right leg towards the roof.
- Note: Beginners, Please do not rush. Stretch as much as you are comfortable. And make sure that the arm and leg are perfectly straight.
- Hold in this position for few seconds (30 to 60 seconds).
- Exit the pose by releasing the leg and bring down the hand and come back to the normal laying position on the yoga mat.
- Repeat all the above steps with your opposite side.
- By practising this pose at least thrice (both sides) will give the better results.
BENEFITS OF SIDE-RECLINING LEG LIFT
- Stimulates the abdominal organs and muscles.
- Improves the digestion.
- Strengthens and stretches the sides of the torso and hamstrings.
- Increases the flexibility in the spine.
- Reduces the fat in the hips and thighs.
- Develops the pelvic region.
- Regular practise can cure the colitis, hypertension, sciatica and arthritis.
- Great stress reliever.
- Cures the disorders related problems(including prostate, uterus, ovaries and urinary bladder)
- Improves the balance.
DO’S, DONT’S & TIPS FOR SIDE-RECLINING LEG LIFT
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- Shoulder Injury
- Neck Problems
- Slip disc
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s must to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.
Always listen to your body, and know your limits. While practise, if you find any pain or discomfort, please exit the pose and ask for the expert’s guidance and doctor’s advice.