Ardha Chandrasana – Half Moon Pose
The name Ardha Chandrasana comes from the two Sanskrit words. Ardha means Half and Chandra means Moon or luminous. (The moon has a rich symbolic significance in yoga mythology). Asana refers Posture.
This asana helps to channelize your lunar energies. It helps to nurturing the body and lifting your mood.
A step by step guide-
- Start from mountain pose.
- Lift your arms to the shoulder height at your sides.
- Arms should face upwards.
- Lift your arms above the head and Inhale while doing this.
- Cross your fingers together and the index fingers should point upward.
- Relax the shoulders and upper arms should be placed close to the ears.
- Press the soles of the fear as you extend up through fingertips. Inhale while doing this.
- Bend with the waist, lean to the right. Exhale while doing this.
- Press your hips gently to the left.
- Point your head upward and look straight ahead.
- Legs should be straight
- Maintain this pose for approximately half minute.(15 to 30 seconds)
- Inhale when the trunk of your body is upright.
- Release the pose by exhaling.
- Breathe deeply.
- Perform the above same steps with the other side.
Benefits of doing this asana:
- Energies the body.
- Stretches the sides of the body.
- Maintain a good condition of Blood Circulation.
- Helps to Improve the Proper Digestion.
- Suitable pose for Menstrual pain, Gastritis, Fatigue, Anxiety.
- Improves the posture.
- Reduces the mental stress
- Expands your chest and shoulders.
- Tones the Muscles
- Lower back problems will reduce
- It gives good stretches for calves, spine, shoulders, chest, groin all together
Precaution and advice:
- This Pose must be practiced with empty stomach, or take the food before 4 to 6 hours.
- If you have any neck problems, don’t turn the head to gaze the ceiling.
- Try to face straight ahead.
- Please consider experts advise, If you are suffered from Blood Pressure.
- Also make sure before you practice, your bowels are empty
- Use a block under your support hand when raising your head to the same level when your heart or above if you have Low Blood Pressure.