Bikram yoga is a type of hatha yoga characterized by a set of 26 postures and breathing exercises, performed in a room heated to a very high temperature rather than the normal room temperature. Bikram Yoga was developed by Bikram Choudhury. He founded the Bikram’s Yoga College of India. It is one of the famous yoga styles in the world. Bikram Yoga gives the therapeutic value of Hatha Yoga through 26 postures sequence.
26 POSTURES OF BIKRAM YOGA
- Standing Deep Breathing – Pranayama
- Half Moon Pose – Ardha-Chandrasana
- Awkward Pose – Utkatasana
- Eagle Pose – Garurasana
- Standing Head To Knee – Dandayamana-Janushirasana
- Standing Bow Pose – Dandayamana-Dhanurasana
- Balancing Stick – Tuladandasana
- Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose – Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Paschimotthanasana
- Triangle Pose – Trikanasana
- Standing Separate Leg Head To Knee Pose – Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Janushirasana
- Tree Pose – Tadasana
- Toe Stand – Padangustasana
- Dead Body Pose – Savasana
- Wind-Removing Pose – Pavanamuktasana
- Sit Up – Pada-Hasthasana
- Cobra Pose – Bhujangasana
- Locust Pose – Salabhasana
- Full Locust Pose – Poorna-Salabhasana
- Bow Pose – Dhanurasana
- Fixed Firm Pose – Supta-Vajrasana
- Half Tortoise – Ardha-Kurmasana
- Camel Pose – Ustrasana
- Rabbit Pose – Ustrasana
- Head To Knee Pose And Stretching Pose – Janushirasana And Paschimotthanasana
- Spine-Twisting Pose – Ardha-Matsyendrasana
- Blowing In Firm Pose – Kapalbhati In Vajrasana
BENEFITS OF BIKRAM YOGA
- Relaxes the body and mind.
- Improves the flexibility.
- Reduces the body fat.
- Helps to burn more calories.
- Releases toxins by sweating
- Hot and humid conditions help to sweat more.
- Focuses on renewal.
- Increases the balance.
- Restorative pose soothes the nervous system.
- Quiets stills and calms the mind.
- helps to release the tension
- Reduces the depression.
- It encourages the mindfulness.
- Helps to increase the attention.
- It helps to keep focus on your breath.
- Helps to deepen the self-awareness
- Great pose to recover from chronically illness.
- Increases the immune system.
- Helps to enhance the mood states.
- Improves the digestion system.
- Connects you to the spiritual world.
- Regulates the blood circulation.
- Gives the deep relaxation.
DO’S, DONT’S & TIPS FOR SVARGA DVIDASANA
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results. There are few risks in Bikram yoga style, such as
- Dehydration and
- Overheating the body
- Potentially heat stroke
We can avoid these risks by a strong focus on replenishing electrolytes. And always know your limits. Practise under certified yoga teacher is must. It’s good to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach. Always listen to your body, and know your limits. While practise, if you find any pain or discomfort, please exit the pose and ask for the expert’s guidance and doctor’s advice.