Catuspadapitham Pose – Table or Crab Pose
The position’s name originates from that of a Sanskrit word which means crab.
This pose also known as Yoga Table or Crab pose. This is used before many asana.
It involves some physical challenges like spine movement, lower back and wrist flexibility. So, it’s better to first consult with your trainer, and then do after the clearance.
It can be done by all levels right from beginners, intermediate and advanced students, with the proper guidance.
It activates the heart chakra. (Love, consciousness and creativity)
A step by step guide:
- Begin with seated.
- Extend your legs, rest your hands back. Fingers should be pointed forward. Inhale while doing this.
- Bend your knees with feet flat slightly forward knees .Exhale while doing this.
- Make your hips lifted in a straight line with shoulders and knees. Inhale while doing this.
- Get your head and neck to your spine. Exhale while doing this.
- Extend out through crown of head. Inhale while doing this.
- Maintain this pose for 3 or 5 minutes until you feel comfortable.
- Maintain a regular breathing.
- Repeat all the above steps three to five times
Benefits of doing this asana:
- Increase the posture of the body.
- Strengthens the arm and legs.
- Calms the body.
- Enhance the digestive system.
- Good for kids.
- Tones back, core, arms and legs.
- Stimulates the respiratory and endocrine systems.
- Improves the blood circulatory system.
- Increase the emotional stability
- Good for heart related issues
- Relives physical stress from body. (All most all parts of the body)
- One can greatly relieving for all sorts of arthritic conditions.
Precaution and advice:
- Work slowly. Do not practice this asana with a discomfort.
- Do not force the shoulders or knee.
- Avoid this posture f you have a wrist, neck or a back injury.
- Also do not perform the pose if you are pregnant or you are menstruating.
- When you release the pose, do it slowly. Do not rush.
- If you have any recent shoulders injuries. Please avoid this asana.
- Doing this pose regularly will give the best results.