Eka Hasta Bhujasana – Elephant Trunk Pose, One leg over shoulder Pose
Eka Hasta Bhujasana it is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Eka(One),Hasta (hand),Bhuja(arm), asana (posture or pose). The reason for the name Eka Hasta Bhujasana is, this pose resembles the position of the Elephant Trunk. It is called as Elephant Trunk Poseor One leg over shoulder Pose in English.
It is intermediate level pose which gives more strength to your hands, shoulders. And it helps to improve the balance to endurance.
- Form the Staff Pose (Dandasana).
- Bring up the right knee towards your chest.
- But the right foot should be on the ground.
- Draw your right arm underneath your right knee and place your hand on the ground
- The fingers should be pointing forward.
- Place left hand on the floor outside of the left hip.
- Up your right leg on your right arm until the right knee comes to the right triceps.
- Keep the right knee bent
- Slowly press your hands and lift your body off the floor.
- Stay this position for few seconds (30 to 60 seconds depend upon your strength).
- Exit the pose by sit down and straight the both legs.
- Now repeat the above steps with the opposite leg.
- Practising this pose at least twice with both legs will give the best results.
- Increase the strength in the shoulders and arms.
- Strengthens and opens hip.
- Helps to stabilizethe pelvic girdle.
- Improves focus, coordinationand the balance.
- Increases the endurance.
Dos, Don’ts and Tips:
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- Wrist problems
- Shoulder Injury
- Hip Problems
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s good to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.
To avoid any wrist problem, use all the four corners of the palm.
You can use the blocks for elevation (for beginners)
Beginners can find this pose difficult. But it is helpful to increase the flexibility and strength. So, it is good to practise some hip open type yoga pose before start with this pose. Say for example, practise with a few Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutations), UtthanPristhasana (Lizard Pose) or AkarnaDhanurasana (Archer Pose) which will warm the shoulders.