Eka Pada Koundiyanasana I – Sage Koundinya I Pose
Eka Pada Koundiyanasana I is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Eka(One),Pada(Leg),Koundiya(Koundiya: The sage name), asana (posture or pose). This Asana is called by the name of the sage Koundiya, This is the reason for the name Eka Pada Koundiyanasana I. It is called as Koundi one or Twisted one legged arm balance pose in English.
Preparatory Poses for Eka Pada Koundiyanasana I are Pasasana, Supta Padangusthasana and Marichyasana I; and the Follow-up Poses are Adho Mukha Svanasana and Uttanasana
It is one of the advanced level yoga pose. To practise this Eka Pada Koundiyanasana I, one must have the good strength in arms and shoulders to hold the whole body weight on hands.
- Form Downward Facing Dog Pose.
- Place the left foot to mid of the yoga mat.
- Do not rush. Slowly up the right leg in the air
- Bring the knee towards to touch the left triceps.
- Breathe should be normal.
- Lower the shoulders to the height of the elbows.
- Lift your left foot and place on the right triceps.
- Twist your hip to help to reach the leg on the right triceps.
- Extend your right leg straight as much as you can.(Please do not do forcefully)
- Breathing should be normal
- Hold this position for 30 to 60 seconds
- Exit the pose and back to Downward Facing Dog Pose.
- Do all of the above steps with the opposite leg.
- Reduce the fat. Especially in the abdominal area.
- Strengthen the shoulders, wrists and arms.
- Improves flexibility and centre of balance.
- Increases the overall strength of the body.
- Helps to increase the focus.
- Stimulate the abdominal organs. Thus it increases the digestion.
- Rejuvenate and strengthen the spine.
- Stretches the leg muscles.
Dos, Don’ts and Tips:
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- Wrist problems
- Carpel Tunnel syndrome
- Lower back injury
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s good to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.
Pregnant women may avoid practising this yoga, or ask for the expert’s supervision and doctor’s advice.
Practising this yoga wrongly may lead the person to wrist injury.
Beginners can use the chair seat to place the back leg.
To come out from the fear of falling, one can use the blocks (especially beginners.)