Gomukhasana – Cow Face Pose
Gomukhasana it is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Gow(Cow or light),mukha (face) andasana (posture or pose). The reason for the name Gomukhasana is, this pose resembles the position of the Cow’s Face. It is called as Cow Face Pose in English.
Gomukhasana is one of the simple Pose yet gives more benefits. Beginners can practise this pose easily with the expert’s guidance.
- Start with sitting on the floor with legs extended in front of you.
- Slowly fold the left leg and place it under the right buttocks.
- Now fold the right leg, and place it on top of the left thighs.
- Make sure that both knees should be closer to each other.
- Take your left arm and place it behind the back by bending the left arm.
- Now Up your right arm, take it over the right shoulders
- Place the right arm as far as it goes behind the back.
- Now very slowly try to touch the two hands behind the back.
- Try to catch the right hand with the left hand.
- Beginners may touch only the fingers of the two hands. But the frequent practise will gives the more flexibility
- Expand the chest and chin up
- Hold in this position for few seconds(30 to 60 seconds)
- Breathe should be normal and deep.
- Do all the above steps with the opposite side.
It is the good stress reliever.
Helps in sexual ailments.
It calms the mind and gives the peace.
Helps to make the back more flexible.
Helps to relieve the sexual malfunctions
Cures the sciatica problem.
Good Pose for diabetes patients
Good Pose for High blood pressure people
It helps to stimulate the kidneys.
Strengthen the chest.
Stretches the Hips, chest, shoulders and triceps.
Lower back, buttocks and the knees are stretched properly.
Pelvic and reproductive organs are toned.
Removes stiff shoulders and back pains.
Dos, Don’ts and Tips:
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- Neck Injury
- Knee Problem
- Shoulders Injury
- Hip problems
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s good to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.
Do not fasten your hands behind the back. It’s fine, if you cannot hold your hands by each other. By regular practise, one can easily do this Pose. But in the begging stage do not rush. Know your limits and it is always best to practise with the expert’s guidance.