Kapalbhati Pranayama is being practiced since ancient time by yogis. It is is belly breath technique which is helpful in respiratory function of the body and also called ”breath of fire”. Kapalbhati is a yog asana which not only responsible for whole physical and mental health but has great spiritual value. It is usually done before starting of yoga session. This is ”Shat Kriya” means cleansing technique to detoxify the body’s toxins.
Kapalabhati Pranayama is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Kapala (Skull), bhati (light) which means implying perception and knowledge) and Pranayama (Breathing technique). It is called as Skull Shining Breath in English.
It is an effective Pranayama to cure the digestive disorder, stomach disorder, obesity and many problems related to stomach.It helps to keep the mind calm. Regular practice of this Pranayama reduce the weight in an effective way.
Types Of Kapalbhati Pranayama
There are 3 types of pranayama which are mentioned in ancient yoga books
- Vatakrama Kapalbhati
Sit on the mat with cross legged and start breathing. Here inhalation will remain passive and exhalation will be active.
- Vyutkrama Kapalbhati
In this kriya, one has to suck the water through the nose and expelled via your mouth. It is the best kriya to clean your nose, throat and mouth. It also cure the sinus and makes nasal activity more sufficient.
- Sheetkrama Kapalbhati
The technique is reversible of Vyutkrama. In this you have to take water through you mouth and expelled it through your nose
STEP BY STEP GUIDE –KAPALBHATI PRANAYAMA
- Start with sitting in any comfortable meditative position.
- You can close your eyes.
- Make sure that your spine should be straight
- Place your palms on the respective side knees.
- Take a deep breath.
- Exhale with your full force, so that the stomach will go deep inside.
- When you exhale with hissing sound try to think that your disorders are coming out of your nose.
- Please do not stress while inhaling.
- Note: after each exhaling, inhaling should be done automatically.
- Repeat all the above steps for five to ten minutes
- Take rest for you minutes. Then repeat.
- Note: By regular practice, you can increase the time for more minutes.
BENEFITS OF KAPALBHATI PRANAYAMA
- Increases the more oxygen in the blood.
- Stimulates the abdominal muscles and organs.
- Helps to rejuvenate the brain cells.
- Increases the metabolic rate.
- Helps to clear the nadis.
- Improves the beauty and luster to the life.
- Improves the sense of well-being.
- Trim down the belly.
- This is very useful to solve the diabetes.
- Cures the dark circles around the eyes.
- Helps to dissolve waste matter and toxins.
- Reduces the stress in the eyes.
- Helps to regaining the poise in emotions.
- Improves the digestion.
- Helps to regulate the liver and kidney.
- Cures the all intestinal problems.
- Improves the blood circulation.
- Calms the mind.
- Improves the kidney’s functions.
- Regulates the human reproductive system.
- Helps to improve the function of pancreas.
- Energies the whole nervous system.
- Gives an effective impact in the weight loss.
- Brings the positive thoughts.
- Regular practice can help to cure the breast cancer.
- Reduces the depression.
- Helps to cure the asthma, constipation and acidity.
DO’S, DONT’S & TIPS FOR KAPALBHATI PRANAYAMA
People with the following problem please avoid practicing this pose, or practice under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
Heart patient Injury
If you are heart patient or having heart surgery then please avoid doing the asana.Because in this yoga asana you have to do exhalation strokes. The strokes may go 60 to 100 strokes per second and if someone is having problem regarding heart it may go fatal or those so please fully avoid the asana if you are heart patient
- High blood pressure
Same thing apply again, heart patient must avoid doing kapalbhati asana because the exhalation strokes increase the blood pressure while perform which result high blood pressure.
- Pregnant women
Pregnant women is strictly prohibited to do the asana. As it is abdominal exercise which effects the abdominal region while stroking inside and outside. So if you have baby bump or you are pregnant then please avoid the asana completely.
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.It’s must to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.Always listen to your body, and know your limits. While practice, if you find any pain or discomfort, please exit the pose and ask for the expert’s guidance and doctor’s advice.Please do not rush, practice should be medium.During periods, if you don’t feel comfortable, please avoid practicing the pranayama.