Mrigi Mudra – Deer Seal
Mrigi Mudra is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Mrigi(deer or animal) and Mudra(seal). It resembles the deer. Thus it is named as Mrigi Mudra. It is called as Deer Sealor healing Mudrain English.
It is one of the yogic breathing techniques or Pranayamas.We can cultivate more benefits for body and mind, if we perform Mrigimudra with other Pranayamas (like Kapalbhati Pranayama or Ujjayi Pranayama).
We can practise Mrigi Mudra individually at any time. It helps to cure the mild headache. Regular practise of Mrigi Mudra can keep us calm all the time.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE – DEER SEAL (MRIGI MUDRA)
- Start with make a ‘claw’ formation with your fingers in your right hand.
- Now lower the middle and index finger to the middle of your palm.
- Mrigimudra (The deer seal) uses an alternate breathing technique.
- Note: Alternate breathing technique means, air is breathed in through one nostril and exhaled through the other.
- Now, as you inhale through the left nostril. Hold the thumb against the right nostril.
- Use the ring and thumb finger to hold the both nostrils shut momentarily.
- Note: Your ring finger should be pinching your left nostril. At the same time, your thumb should be closing the right nostril.
- Now slowly lift the thumb and allow the air to escape through the right nostril.
- Repeat all the above sequence twice, once using the left nostril and once using the right nostril.
- Repeat this at least two or three times, set of three inhalations.
BENEFITS OF DEER SEAL (MRIGI MUDRA)
- Helps to relieve the anxiety.
- Maintains the calmness. Thus controls the anger.
- Calms the mind and body.
- Gives the peace of mind.
- Practising Mrigi Mudra before the yoga routine will give mental focus and clarity.
- Improves the natural immune function.
- Reduces the stress.
- Increases the antioxidant levels.
- Mrigi Mudra reduces the mind.
- Helps to cure the mild headache.
DO’S, DONT’S & TIPS FOR DEER SEAL (MRIGI MUDRA)
People with the following problem please avoid practising this Mudra, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- None, everyone can practise this mudra.
Practise this Mudra daily, will yield the better results.
It can be practised at any time.
Always listen to your body, and know your limits. While practise, if you find any pain or discomfort, please exit the Mudra and ask for the expert’s guidance and doctor’s advice.