Savasana – Corpse Pose
Savasana, Shavasana is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Shava(corpse) and asana (posture or pose). It is called as Corpse Posein English.
Savasana usually practiced at the end of the yoga session. After practising the other yoga poses, our body get stretched, inverted, contracted and twisted. So, at the end, This Savasana helps to relax the entire body and mind.
- On yoga mat, start with lie flat on your back
- You can keep your knees relax.
- Toes may face the sides.
- Keep your head centred.
- Make sure that it does not fall to either side.
- Slowly extend the arms to the along sides.
- Let the palms open.
- Make sure that palms are facing upward.
- Concentrate and slowly relax your body parts one by one.
- After relaxing the entire body, calm the mind.
- Breathe gently, slowly and deeply.
- Note: You can feel that the incoming breath energizing the body and the outgoing breath relaxing the body.
- Empty the mind. Drop all the urgency.
- It’s just you and your breathing.
- Note: Please do not fall sleep.
- Continue this for 5 to 15 minutes.
- Once you fully relaxed.
- Exit the pose slowly
- Note: You can close your eyes to increase the awareness.
- Relieves the mild depression and anxiety.
- Calm the nervous system.
- Helps to repair the tissues and cells.
- Helps to feel the rejuvenation.
- Promotes the equanimity to the entire body.
- Helps to cure the headaches and fatigue.
- Regular practise can helps to cure the high blood pressure and insomnia.
- The best way to end the yoga session.
- Helps to reduce the Vatadosha(imbalance of the air element).
- Great pose to release the stress.
- Reduces the Drowsiness and restlessness
Dos, Don’ts and Tips:
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- None (Except some problem to lying on the back)
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s good to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.
Make sure that you are doing this in a comfort environment,because a tiny discomfort may give the endless distraction.
Even though, it can be practised by almost everyone, if you have any problems about lying on your back. Please ask for the doctor’s advice.