Sivananda yoga was developed by Swami Sivananda. It is a non-proprietary form of hatha yoga. It focuses on preserving the wellness and health of the practitioner. Sivananda training emphasizes the full yogic breathing and frequent relaxation.
The Method followed in Sivananda training system is, decrease chance of disease and retain the vitality of your body.Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre is located in Chennai. It offers workshops, daily classes and courses with the very reasonable price, 3000 INR per person for the beginning level yoga classes. It works with the five principles described below.
Practise starts with the demonstrations and explanations of asanas, then breathing techniques (pranayama), then proper relaxation, proper diet (healthy and vegetarian) and meditation and positive thinking. And then the 12 basic postures lastly sunsalutation (suryanamaskar).
Five main principles:
Proper exercise: Asanas
Proper breathing: Pranayama
Proper relaxation: Savasana
Proper diet: Vegetarian. (Limited to sattvic foods)
Positive thinking and meditation: Dhyana and Vedanta
Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar):
The Sun Salutation has 12 sequences of poses. It helps to stretching the body and expanding the chest to regulate the breathing. Regular practise will bring great flexibility to your joints and spine. It prepares the whole body and the mind for the Asanas.
12 Basic Asanas (Yogic Postures):
- Sirshasana (Headstand Pose)
- Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand Pose)
- Halasana (Plough Pose)
- Matsyasana( Fish Pose)
- Paschimothanasana (Sitting Forward bend Pose)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- Shalabhasana (Locust Pose)
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
- ArdhaMatsyendrasana (Spinal twist Pose)
- Kakasana (Crow Pose) or Mayurasana (Peacock Pose)
- PadaHasthasana (Standing forward bend Pose)
- Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
These asanas help to increase the flexibility and gives the good stretching throughout the body.
BENEFITS OF SIVANANDA YOGA
- Relaxes the body and mind.
- Quiets stills and calms the mind.
- helps to release the tension
- Reduces the depression.
- Improves the digestive disorders
- Increases the immune system.
- Gives the deep relaxation.
- Cures the low-back pain.
- Removes the stress and anxiety.
- Stretches the entire body.
- Strengthens the major parts of the body.
- Stimulates the abdominal organs. Thus improves the digestion system.
- Increases the oxygen intake.
- Opens the chest, shoulders and hips.
- Increases the flexibility.