Uddiyana Bandha – Upward Abdominal Lock
Uddiyana Bandha is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Uddiyana(upward) and bandha (binding or lock or attachment to this world). It is called as Upward Abdominal Lock in English.
Preparatory Poses for Uddiyana Bandha are Supta Virasana, Dandasana, Viparita Karani, Adho Mukha Svanasana, Sarvangasana, Virasana, Sirsasana, Paschimottanasana and Baddha Konasana; follow-up Poses are all yoga poses. Uddiyana Bandha can be performed at the beginning of the yoga practice to stimulate the energy.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE – UPWARD ABDOMINAL LOCK
- We can practise Uddiyana Bandha in either way by standing position or sitting position.
- Let’s see by sitting position.
- Start with sitting in Padmasana (Lotus pose).
- Your spine should be straight.
- Now place your palms on the knees.
- Breathing should be normal.
- Relax the whole body.
- Now Inhale deeply and then exhale fully.
- Hold the breath outside.
- Now bend the shoulders slightly and lean forward.
- Perform Jalandhara Bandha(chin lock).
- With the help of palms, press down the knees.
- Pull the abdominal muscles inside and upwards.
- Note: Imagine like there is suction just behind your sternum.
- Hold in this position as long as you are comfortable.
- Note: breath outside
- Exit by release the abdominal muscles and come back to normal position.
- Wait till the breathing come back to normal.
- Then repeat all the above steps thrice.
BENEFITS OF UPWARD ABDOMINAL LOCK
- Helps to strengthen the abdominal muscles.
- It helps to stimulate the energy of your Apana vayu(lower belly), to unite it with the energies localized in the Samana vayu(navel) and the Prana vayu(heart).
- Improves the body immune system.
- Increases the overall blood circulation in the abdomen and the entire body.
- Helps to activate the solar plexus and Manipura Chakra.
- Increases the digestive fire.
- It is helpful for diabetes.
- Strengthens the diaphragm.
- Tones the adrenal glands and improves its function.
- Stimulates the liver and pancreas.
- Great pose for Indigestion and Constipation problems.
- Changes the depressive mood.
- Reduces the tension and stress.
- It reverses the flow of apana.
- Gives the gentle massage to the solar plexus, abdominal viscera, lungs and the heart.
- Increases gastric fire;
- Improves the digestion system.
- Helps to improve the elimination and assimilation.
- Detoxify the body by purifying the digestive tract of toxins.
DO’S, DONT’S & TIPS FOR UPWARD ABDOMINAL LOCK
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- Intestinal ulcers
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s good to do this pose in the morning.
Practice only with on an empty stomach.