Urdhva Dhanurasana – Upward Bow or Wheel Pose
Urdhva Dhanurasana is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Urdhva(Upward),Dhanu(Bow) andasana (posture or pose). The reason for the name Urdhva Dhanurasana is, this pose resembles the position of the Upward Bow. It is called as Upward Bow or Wheel Posein English.
Preparatory Poses for Urdhva Dhanurasana are Urdhva Mukha Svanasana, Bhujangasana, Virasana and Setu Bandha Sarvangasana; and the follow-up Poses are Supta Padangusthasana and Ardha Matsyendrasana.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE – UPWARD BOW OR WHEEL POSE
- Start with lying flat on your back in the yoga mat.
- Place your arms at the sides.
- Bend the knees.
- Keep the feet aligned and parallel with the hips.
- As much as possible draw the heels close to the buttocks.
- Place the arms up overhead.
- Place the palms on the floor at side of your head by bending your elbows.
- Make sure that your fingertips should rest beneath the shoulders.
- Reach the elbows directly up towards the roof.
- Inhale; Press against the floor and lift the hips toward the roof.
- Note: You can support the lifting by press your feet firmly into the floor.
- Feet and legs should be parallel.
- Lift your shoulders off the yoga mat by pressing the palms against the floor.
- Arms should remain parallel.
- Exhale; straighten the arms and lift completely off the floor.
- Note: Please, Do not rest your bodyweight on your head or neck.
- Keep trying to broaden the shoulder blades across your back.
- Let the head hang.
- Gaze at the Yoga mat between the hands.
- Hold in this position for few seconds (10 to 50 seconds).
- Exit the pose by first bring the head to the yogamat, and then whole body.
BENEFITS OF UPWARD BOW OR WHEEL POSE
- Help to stretches the lungs and chest.
- Increases the working of digestion system.
- Helps to strengthen the legs, abdomen and buttocks.
- Tones and strengthen the spine.
- Stimulates the pituitary and thyroid.
- Strengthens the arms and wrists.
- Improves the blood circulation to the entire body.
- Increases the body energy
- Helps to reduce the depression.
- Great pose to cure the asthma and osteoporosis.
- Good relief for back pain.
- Controls the infertility.
DO’S, DONT’S & TIPS FOR UPWARD BOW OR WHEEL POSE
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Heart problems
- Back injury
- High or low blood pressure
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s good to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.