Utkatasana – Chair Pose or Awkward Pose
Utkatasana is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Utkat(Powerful or Intense) andasana (posture or pose). It is called as Chair Pose or Awkward Posein English.The reason for the name Chair Pose is, this pose resembles the position of sitting on the imaginary chair.
Preparatory Poses for Utkatasana are Bhujangasana, Virasana and Adho Mukha Svanasana; and the follow-up Poses are Uttanasana and Tadasana.
Utkatasana is a beginner level yoga pose. It has many variations. It increases the balance and strength. The direct meaning of Utkatasana is Intense Pose or powerful pose.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE – CHAIR POSE
- Start with the mountain pose (Tadasana) on the yoga mat.
- You can keep the feet either together or hip width apart.
- Inhale; Draw the arms forward parallel to the floor.
- Palms should face the floor.
- Exhale; bend the knees, squatting down.
- Down the hips and back.
- Note: Imagine like you are going to sit on the edge of a chair.
- Bring the whole body weight to the heels of your feet.
- Note: Please, Do not bring your hips lower than the level of your knees.
- Knees should point straight ahead.
- Now press the shoulders down and back try to arch your spine.
- Relax the shoulders down and back and reach through your fingertips.
- Chin up; Look straight; Stare at a point on the floor.
- Maintain the balance.
- Hold this position for few seconds (20 to 50 seconds).
- Exit the pose by inhale and come back to the mountain pose (Tadasana).
BENEFITS OF CHAIR POSE
- Strengthens the lower bodyincluding calves, thighs, ankles and spine.
- Stretches the upper backincluding chest and shoulders.
- Energizes the entire body.
- Stimulates the abdominal organs.
- Helps to reduce the flat feet.
- Increases the Heart’s function.
- Improves the balance and concentration.
DO’S, DONT’S & TIPS FOR CHAIR POSE
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- Shoulder Problems
- Back Problems
- Knee Injury
- Hip Injuries
- Low blood pressure
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s good to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.
Always listen to your body, and know your limits. While practise, if you find any pain or discomfort, please exit the pose and ask for the expert’s guidance and doctor’s advice.