Utthita Trikonasana – Extended Triangle Pose
Utthita Trikonasana is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Utthita(Extended),Trikon(Triangle) andasana (posture or pose). The reason for the name Utthita Trikonasana is, this pose resembles the position of the extended triangle. It is called as Extended Triangle Pose in English.
Preparatory Poses for Utthita Trikonasana are Vrksasana and Tadasana; and the follow-up Poses are seated forward bends/twists and Standing poses.
Utthita Trikonasana has many variations. It is a beginner level yoga poses. It opens the chest, hips and shoulders.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE – EXTENDED TRIANGLE POSE
- Start with standing straight in the Mountain Pose (Tadasana) on the yoga mat.
- Lift the hands and place towards in front of your chest.
- Make sure that your palms are facing the yoga mat.
- Breathing should be normal.
- Inhale; slowly come into Utthita Hasta Padasana (Extended Hands and Feet Pose).
- Note: The feet at least one leg length apart.
- Slowly come into the Parshva Hasta Padasana (Side Hands and Feet Pose).
- Exhale; Reach your right trunk and arm out over your right leg.
- Bring your hand to any one shin, the ankle on the yoga mat.
- Keep your trunk in the same plane as the legs.
- Open your trunk out to the side.
- Try to reach your left arm up to the roof.
- Turn your head to look up.
- Neck should be in the normal position.
- Without straining the neck.
- Breathing should be normal.
- Hold in this position for few seconds (20 to 120 minutes).
- Exit the pose by inhale, and come back to the MountainPose (Tadasana).
- Repeat all of the above steps with the oppositeside. On second side.
BENEFITS OF EXTENDED TRIANGLE POSE
- Strengthens the abdominals, neck and back.
- Regular practise of this pose can help to cure the flat feet, sciatica, osteoporosis, neck pain and anxiety
- Helps to relieve from the stress and depression.
- Improve the focus and balance.
- Relieves the symptoms of menopause.
- Strengthens the feet, ankles and legs.
- Stretches the inner thighs, hips, Chest, groins, Shoulders, hamstrings, calves and the spine.
- Energizes the body.
- Helps to relieve from the backache, especially through 2nd trimester of the pregnancy.
- Stimulates the abdominal organs. Thus, Help increases the digestive problems.
- Improves the working function of the human reproductive system. Thus, helps to cure the infertility problems.
- Stretches and strengthens the ankles, knees, and thighs.
- Opens the hips, shoulders and chest.
DO’S, DONT’S & TIPS FOR EXTENDED TRIANGLE POSE
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- Neck problems
- Low blood pressure
- High blood pressure
- Heart Condition
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s good to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.
Always listen to your body, and know your limits. While practise, if you find any pain or discomfort, please exit the pose and ask for the expert’s guidance and doctor’s advice.