Akarm Dhanurasana – Archer Pose, The shooting bow pose
Akarm Dhanurasana it is derived from the combination of the following Sanskrit words the prefix Ā (Towards), Karna (Ear), Dhanu (bow), asana (posture or pose). The reason for the name Akarm Dhanurasana is, this pose resembles the position of the shooting bow and arrow of the archer. So,it is called as Archer Pose or The Shooting bow pose in English.
Preparatory Poses for Akarm Dhanurasana are Upward Facing Dog Pose (Urdhva MukhaS avasana), Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana), Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana) and Hero Pose (Virasana);And the Follow Up Poses are Half Lord of Fishes Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana) and Reclining Big Toe Pose (Supta Padangusthasana)
It is an intermediate level yoga pose.The Shooting bow posefocuses on the benefits of Spine, Chest, Neck, Shoulders, Belly, thighs and the groins
- Sit on the floor on yoga mate
- Straight your legs in front of you
- Make sure of the Back, head and shoulder should be straight
- Once you are comfortable slide down and reach your right leg(big toe) with right index finger and left leg(big toe) with left index finger
- Take a deep breathe
- Take your right foot reach the right ear.
- At the same time left index should touch the left big toe and keep the left knee straight
- Stay in this position for some time.
- Exhale get relax and go to normal sitting.
- Repeat this with the other leg.
- Repeat the all the above steps twice for both legs
- Strengthens the legs and muscles
- It increases the digestion.
- Stimulate the abdominal organs
- Regulates the menstrual cycle.
- Improves the concentration and focus.
- Increases the capacity of the lungs, so that oxygen intake increases and regulates the breathing.
- Strengthens the whole muscles
- Strengthen the thighs, calves, shoulder, arms, buttocks, neck and legs
- Practising this AkarmDhanurasanawill help immensely for the people who sitting for long hours daily
Dos, Don’ts and Tips:
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- spinal injuries
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s good to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.
Beginners please do not practise this pose all alone; an expert’s guide is the best way to do in the beginning stage.
If beginners find difficulty to practise this archer pose. They can use a rolled up blanket for support.
Keep the leg straight which is on the floor. Also the hips as much as possible