Utthita Parsvakonasana – Extended Side Angle Pose
Utthita Parsvakonasana is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Utthita(extended),Parsva(flank or side),Kona (Angle), asana (posture or pose). It is called as Extended Side Angle Posein English.
Preparatory Poses for Utthita Parsvakonasana are Supta Virasana(Reclining Hero Pose), Adho Mukha Svanasana(Downward Facing Dog Pose), Prasarita Padottanasana(Wide-legged Forward Bend), Virabhadrasana II(Warrior II Pose), Virasana(Hero Pose), Siddhasana(Accomplished Pose), Supta Padangusthasana(Reclining Big Toe Pose), Utthita Trikonasana(Extended Triangle Pose), Supta Baddha Konasana(Reclining Bound Angle Pose) and Upavistha Konasana(Wide-angle Seated Forward Bend); and the follow-up Poses are Bakasana(Crane pose), Konasana(Bound Angle Pose) and Malasana(Garland Pose).
STEP BY STEP GUIDE – EXTENDED SIDE ANGLE POSE
- Start with standing in the Mountain Pose (Tadasana) on the yoga mat.
- Place the legs 3 to 4 feet wide apart.
- Extend your arms into the T position.
- Make sure that your palms should facing down.
- Turn your right foot 90 degrees outwardly.
- Turn your left foot slightly inward.
- Breathing should be normal.
- Keep the sides of the torso long equally and lift through the spine.
- Press the left outer foot and heel to the yoga mat.
- Bend your right knee toward the 90-degree angle.
- Hold in this position for few seconds (30 to 60 seconds).
- Exit the pose by come back to the Mountain pose.
- Repeat all of the above steps with the opposite site.
- By practising this pose at least thrice (by both sides) will give the better results.
BENEFITS OF EXTENDED SIDE ANGLE POSE
- Stretches and strengthens the knees, ankles and legs.
- Stretches the waist, groins and spine.
- Helps to stretches the chest, lungs and shoulders
- Stimulates the abdominal organs. Thus improves the digestion system.
- Increases the stamina, thus improves the endurance.
- Regulates the menstruation cycle and eliminates the discomfort.
- Improves the reproduction system. Thus, helps to cure the Infertility problems.
- Relieves the Low backache problems.
- Calms the mind.
- Helps to cure the Osteoporosis, Constipation and Sciatica.
DO’S, DONT’S & TIPS FOR EXTENDED SIDE ANGLE POSE
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- Knee Injury
- High or low blood pressure
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s good to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.
Always listen to your body, and know your limits. While practise, if you find any pain or discomfort, please exit the pose and ask for the expert’s guidance and doctor’s advice.