Surya Bhedana Pranayama – Single Nostril Breath
Surya Bhedana Pranayama is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Surya (sun), Bhedana (piercing or pass through or to break) and Pranayama(Breathing technique). It is called as Single Nostril Breathin English.
Surya Bhedana Pranayama is one of the most important Pranayama. Right nostril (nadi) is called as suryanadi(pingala) in yoga. The right nadi is related to the Prana and the body functions. This Surya Bhedana Pranayama helps to activate the all body functions and energies the whole body. Gives the peace of mind and calms the body and brain.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE – SINGLE NOSTRIL BREATH
- Start with sitting in a meditative position.
- Note: you can sit in any position. Though, Vajrasana, Padmasana and Siddhasana are preferable.
- Place your hands on your knees.
- Make sure that your spine and trunk are straight.
- Breathing should be normal.
- Slowly raise your right hand.
- Now place your forefingers and the middle finger on your forehead (between the eyebrows).
- Close your left nostril by your ring finger.
- Through your right nostril slowly breathe in.
- Note: fill your lungs entirely (as much as you can).
- Now close your both nostrils and hold the breath.
- Note: The ring finger should close the left nostril and thumb finger should close the right nostril.
- Now you can perform the Root bond (Moola Bhandha) and chin lock (Jalandhara Bandha).
- Hold the breath to the extent as much as you are comfortable.
- Note: Please never try beyound your limits.
- Now, release the Root bond (Moola Bhandha) and chin lock (Jalandhara Bandha).
- Exhale through your left nostril (Ida Nadi).
- Note: At the same time, keep your right nostril closed.
- Here we completes the one full round.
- You can repeat as many rounds as you are comfortable.
- You may start with five to ten rounds.
- Later we can increase by the regular practise.
BENEFITS OF SINGLE NOSTRIL BREATH
- Increases the appetite.
- Helps to cure the gas problem
- Increases the sexual desire for women
- It helps to increase the digestive fire.
- Gives immediate solution, if you do this when you feel cold in the hands or foot.
- Helps to clean the frontal sinuses
- Awakens the Kundalini Shakti
- Increases the oxygen in the blood.
- Helps to destroy the intestinal worms.
- Creates the energy
- Helps to cure the skin related problems.
DO’S, DONT’S & TIPS FOR SINGLE NOSTRIL BREATH
People with the following problem please avoid practising this pose, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- High blood pressure
- Brain surgery
- Heart surgery
Practise this yoga daily, will yield the better results.
It’s must to do this pose in the morning with empty stomach.
Always listen to your body, and know your limits. While practise, if you find any pain or discomfort, please exit the pose and ask for the expert’s guidance and doctor’s advice.