Nadi Shodhana Pranayama – Channel Cleaning Breath
Nadi Shodhana Pranayama is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words Nadi(gateway or subtle energy channel or path), Shodhan (purification or cleaning) andPranayama (Breath or breathing technique). It is called as Channel Cleaning Breath or AnulomVilom pranayama in English.
Nadi Shodhan pranayama is a very powerful breathing technique.It helps clear the blocked energy channels. Thus it calms the body and mind.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE – CHANNEL CLEANING BREATH
- Start with sitting in a comfortable position.
- Make sure that your shoulders are relaxed and spine should be straight.
- Note: Just keeping the gentle smile on the face would be better.
- Now place the left hand on your left knee.
- Note: Your palms either in Chin Mudra (gently touch the tip of index and thumb fingers) or open to the sky.
- In between the eyebrows, place your tip of the middle and index fingers of your right hand.
- Place the little and ring fingers on the left nostril.
- The thumb on your right nostril.
- Note: Use you’re little and ring fingers to close or open your left nostril and thumb finger for your right nostril.
- Now slowly press the thumb down on your right nostril and gently breathe out through your left nostril.
- Now breathe in from your left nostril and then press your left nostril gently with your little and ring fingers.
- Slowly remove your right thumb from your right nostril, and gently breathe out from the right.
- Now slowly breathe in from your right nostril and exhale from your left.
- Note: This is the completion of one full round of Nadi Shodhan pranayama.
- You can continue to inhaling and exhaling from the alternate nostrils.
- Repeat all the above steps 9 times through both the nostrils.
- Note: Remember that you have to breathe in from the same nostril from which you exhaled.
- You can keep your eyes closed.
- Without any effort or force, breaths should be smooth, long and deep.
BENEFITS OF CHANNEL CLEANING BREATH
- Calms the mind.
- Improves the oxygen level in the blood.
- Regulates the working of the nervous system.
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama helps to balance and purify your nadis.
- Harmonizes the right and left hemispheres of our brain. Thus It helps to balance the emotional and logical sides of our personality.
- Detoxifies the body.
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama cures the mild headaches and migraine.
- Helps to release the stress from the body and mind effectively.
- Gives the smooth flow of prana (life force) through the body.
- Maintains the body temperature.
- Purifies the blood.
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama is an excellent breathing technique.
- Helps to purify the respiratory system.
- Strengthens the respiratory organs.
- It helps to bring the mind to the present moment. (Stopsworrying or glorifying about the past and future).
- Regular practise can cure the respiratory and circulatory problems.
- Helps to reduce the stress, nervousness and anxiety.
- Improves the concentration.
DO’S, DONT’S & TIPS FOR CHANNEL CLEANING BREATH
People with the following problem please avoid practising this Pranayama, or practise under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- Heart related problems
Practise this Pranayama daily, will yield the better results.
It’s good to do this Pranayama in the morning with empty stomach.
Do not breathe from your mouth.
Please avoid the Ujjayi breath.
Do not apply the pressure on your nose or forehead.
Make sure that the exhalation should be longer than the inhalation.